February 7, 2008 by aklibrarian1
It is sometimes hard to judge how your year is going mid-year. I have been recently thinking that I am not doing enough. Then I came across several things to help me rethink that.
- A list of accomplishments from the yearly report of my predecessor. Quick check shows me in line for accomplishing a similar set of tasks that she had done. (I still feel she was one of the best school librarians in the business.)
- Reading a blog post that used pictures from one school that participated in our Battle of the Books program. The students look happy with the program they are participating in. One of my main goals of my life is that students are happy with reading. Seeing student’s faces as they get a school banner for their Battle Book win.
- The support from people in my office when someone questioned a book that is in the Battle of the Book program for the year that is winding up. Support from coworkers is a definite sign to me that I am doing a positive job.
- Comments from colleagues about the materials that I send them when they are looking for new teaching ideas. People tend to be surprised by the wealth of materials that we have to cover the subjects they are teaching.
- The work that I am doing on Koha. I am learning more and more each time I sit down to it. I keep thinking there has to be an end to the learning curve, apparently not.
- Purchases that I have made this year to build a collection that has a more digital bent. I have found a lot of dvds that I know will help teachers in their classrooms.
What I hope to accomplish this year:
- ILTL Grant – Finish the write up by this weekend 2/10/08
- Send grant proposal to others to get their input. Encourage input on the goals and activities in the grant to get other’s good ideas.
- Visit schools that I haven’t been to.
- Planning Fall In-service for library aides.
- Set up a system for books with duplicate barcodes. We need to rebarcode the books.
- Determine which books have duplicate barcodes.
- Make new barcodes for those books.
- Find an easy way for the books to be rebarcoded.
- Go to sites to help with this process.
This should be enough to get me through this year and maybe next school year.